Sri Lanka bombings killed three children of Asos owner and Denmark’s richest man Anders Holch Povlsen, he announces
Three children of Denmark’s richest man were among almost 300 victims killed in the Sri Lanka terror attacks.
Anders Holch Povlsen’s four children were visiting the country over the Easter holiday.
His daughter Alma posted a photo on Instagram days before the bombings, showing her three siblings sat by a palm-linked swimming pool and calling them “three little bears”.
A spokesperson for Mr Holch Povlsen confirmed three of the children had been killed in the Easter Sunday attacks, and Denmark’s foreign ministry said three Danes were among the victims.
Mr Holch Povlsen is the largest stakeholder in Asosand Scotland’s biggest private landowner.
He is the CEO and owner of retailer Bestseller, which operates several clothing chains.
The 46-year-old was ranked at 252 on a 2019 list of billionaires by Forbes, which reported his net worth as $7.9bn (£6.1bn).
He and his wife Anne hold an estimated 200,000 acres of the Scottish Highlands, and had planned to rewild the landscape to preserve it for future generations.
He previously wrote of a “deep connection” to the Scottish landscape, adding: “It is a project that we know cannot be realised in our lifetime, which will bear fruit not just for our own children but also for the generations of visitors who, like us, hold a deep affection the Scottish Highlands.”
The Sri Lankan high commissioner to the UK said that eight British nationals were so far known to have been killed in the attacks.
Manisha Gunasekera told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “As of now I think there is information on eight nationals who have lost their lives and the other numbers are of other nationals.
“This cuts across the ethnic and religious dimensions,” she added. “It appears as if the entirety of Sri Lanka has been targeted, as well as the unity and coexistence that Sri Lankans have attempted so hard to safeguard over the years.”
At least 290 people were killed and 500 wounded in a series of suicide bombings that ripped through churches and luxury hotels on Easter Sunday.
The vast majority of victims were Sri Lankan but victims also included people from Britain, the US, Denmark, China, Japan, Portugal and Australia.
The tourism ministry said 39 foreign visitors were known to have been killed and another 28 were wounded.
British mother Anita Nicholson and her two children have been confirmed dead. Ms Nicholson, a Singapore-based lawyer for Anglo American, died “instantly” alongside Alex, 14, and Annabel, 11, at the Shangri-La hotel, her husband Ben said.
Mr Nicholson added in a statement: “I would like to give my sincere thanks for the medical teams at General Hospital, Colombo, for treating Anita, Alex and Annabel with great dignity and me with kindness and sympathy.
“I would also like to thank the teams at the British High Commission and Adhvan Tours who have looked after me since Sunday morning and the Sri Lankan people I have encountered in Colombo following this catastrophe.”
They were reported to have been eating breakfast in the Shangri-La hotel in Colombo when the bomber struck.
Nisanga Mayadunne, who studied at the University of London according to her Facebook profile, and her mother Shantha – a TV chef – were also reported to be among the dead.
Ms Mayadunne posted a photo of her family eating breakfast in the Shangri-La shortly before the blast.
Bill Harrop and Sally Bradley, a couple from Manchester, were also killed in the attacks.
The couple had been on holiday in Sri Lanka but it is unclear which of the eight explosions killed them.
Mr Harrop was a retired firefighter. Dave Keelan, his former colleague, paid tribute to him on Monday.
“Bill served here for 30 years, retiring at the end of 2012,” Mr Keelan, the assistant county fire officer at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, said.
“He was a much a loved and respected colleague and friend. He will be greatly missed.”
Kieran Arasaratnam, a professor at Imperial College London Business School, was also staying at the Shangri-La and described “total chaos”.
“Everyone was running and a lot of people just didn’t know what was going on,” he told the BBC.
“People had blood on their shirts and there was someone carrying a girl to the ambulance. The walls and the floor were covered in blood.”
Tulip Siddiq, the MP for Hampstead and Kilburn, said she had lost a relative in the attacks.
It’s all so devastating,” she wrote on Twitter. “Hope everyone is keeping safe. Solidarity with the people of Sri Lanka.”
Theresa May called the massacres “truly appalling”, adding: “No one should ever have to practise their faith in fear.”
The first American victim named was Dieter Kowalski, a technical services manager at the multinational publisher Pearson.
CEO John Fallon said the blast struck when he had just arrived at a hotel used by “many colleagues” for business trips over several years.
“Colleagues who knew Dieter well talk about how much fun he was to be around, how big-hearted and full-spirited he was,” Mr Fallon added.
“We mourn Dieter deeply today … we’re angry that a good man, who took simple pleasure in fixing things, has been killed, along with many others, by evil men and women who know only how to destroy.”
On Monday, Sri Lanka’s health minister named local militant group National Thowfeek Jamaath as the perpetrators, with the help of an international network.
The foreign secretary said there was “lots of speculation at the moment but there is no hard knowledge” about the perpetrators.
“We obviously need to wait for the police in Sri Lanka to do their work,” Jeremy Hunt added. “If there is any help that the UK can give, we would want to give it.”
The minister for telecommunications, Harin Fernando, claimed that “some intelligence officers” were aware of the plot and the prime minister has ordered an inquiry into potential failings.
In Colombo, St Anthony’s Shrine and the Cinnamon Grand, Shangri-La and Kingsbury hotels were targeted in the first wave of explosions shortly before 9am local time as worshippers attended morning services and tourists enjoyed their breakfasts.
At around the same time as the blasts in Colombo, explosions were also reported at St Sebastian’s Church in Negombo and at Zion Church in the eastern town of Batticaloa.
A few hours later, two more blasts occurred just outside Colombo, one of them at a guesthouse, where two people were killed, the other near an overpass.
Three police officers were killed during a search at a suspected safe house on the outskirts of Colombo when its occupants are believed to have detonated explosives to prevent arrest.
Another device was destroyed by security services in a controlled explosion on Monday, sparking panic near St Anthony’s Shrine, and more than 80 bomb detonators were found at Colombo’s main bus depot and a nearby rubbish dump.
A curfew was imposed by the authorities on Sunday night and social media use was also restricted by the authorities, who claimed the move was to prevent the spread of false information.
The president was to declare a nationwide emergency that will go into effect at midnight on Monday, granting police and the military extensive powers to detain and interrogate without court orders.
Britons in Sri Lanka who need help were urged to call the High Commission in Colombo on +94 11 5390639, while people in the UK worried about friends or family should call the Foreign Office on 020 7008 1500.